Saturday 9 November 2013

Is your Dad happy? - Chapter 2

How many times have you done something that annoyed your parents?  I know I have. I like to think I don't do it as much anymore but I know when I was a teenager I used to clash heads constantly with my Mum.  So my second question is how often do we please our parents? Do we make them happy?

I was reading through 1 John chapter 2 yesterday and although it's a large enough chapter only one verse kind of stuck out for me. It's in the NLT version so it worded it in this way and it provoked some thought for me. Check it out:

'And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who pleases God will live forever.' - 1 John 2 v 17

The word 'pleases' really made me think. The verse alludes to so many other things that I could discuss such as eternal life or the desires of the world. Instead, I was faced with the seemingly simple question of "How can I please God?"

We all want to please our parents, so of course we should want to please our Heavenly Father too right? But what does that look like practically on a day to day basis? How can I make God happy by doing something every day?

I think we always get so caught up with "what does God command me to do in this situation?" or "what does God want me to do now?" But I very rarely consider "will what I'm about to do make God happy?" or "Will this please God?"

It can take endless forms of course, some that we can find in the Bible too - such as giving to the poor, practically showing love and helping our neighbour, but there's room for creativity. So have a think and that's my challenge to you - How can you please God by doing one thing every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment