Sunday 17 November 2013

Who do they see? - Chapter 4

Have you ever thought about the idea of representing somebody else or something? I remember that when I was younger, if we were out in public somewhere and I was badly behaved then my Mum used to scold me saying that I was representing her too and that I was making her look bad.

What about sports? I'm a big football fan. Every footballers' dream is to represent their country - to play for the National Team. The highest honour there is. It's the idea that once you put on that kit and you take to the pitch with the whole world watching, then you aren't just representing yourself.


'No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.' - 1 John 4 v 12


This verse in 1 John 4 really stood out to me when I was reading it last week. Nobody has ever seen God, but God lives in us. So then when people look at us, can they see God? Is that how people see God, through us? Quite a scary thought actually. Are you a good representative of God? The Father of mankind, the Creator of the Universe, the Lord of all the Earth. Are you a good representative for Him?

Oosh. I almost cringe thinking about this. I know that if you were to follow me around 24/7 then you would see that I am not a great representative of the Kingdom of Heaven. Scrap that - you don't need to follow me all the time. You who know me can see that I'm not a perfect reflection of Jesus. It's hard right?

How can we do it better though? How can people see God more in us? Well right there in the verse - in love. Love people. Everyone. But love is not just a noun, its a verb. It's active, not passive. It's not about just saying 'i love them', it's about physically going and demonstrating that love.

How can you show your love to a different person each and every day? 
How will people see God in you, in your love, every day?
How will you be a good representative for Jesus daily?

"I believe that an [individual] working for and representing the Kingdom of God should do the best of their ability to show and prove the depth, life, newness, creativity, truth and excitement of their Heavenly Father through the work that is set before them." - Daniel Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment