Wednesday 2 March 2016

'I am the resurrection'


What was your favourite bed time story when you were younger?

Was it a nursery rhyme like Humpty Dumpty? Was it a fairy tale like Goldilocks and the Three Bears? Or maybe you were like me, and appreciated any of a number of classic Roald Dahl stories.

One of my all time favourites from Roald Dahl's books was George's Marvellous Medicine. As a young lad with a big imagination, I used to love dreaming of creating my own marvellous medicine one day and imagining what all it would do! If you have never read any of Roald Dahl's books, then do yourself a favour and check them out after you finish reading this blog of course!

They were great stories. And I used to get lost in their worlds with my imagination. But at the end of the day, they were just that. Stories. Fictional characters in fantasy worlds. Creative, engaging, interesting, yes, but ultimately made up. I loved reading them, but I never mistook them for reality.

The question is, however, when we read the Bible, is it also just a nice book of stories and fairy tales? A collection of made up characters, in a fantasy world, and their interesting stories. Or is it real? Do you believe it?

In John 11 v 25 - 26, we're posed this very question by Jesus Himself...


“I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

Jesus sums up the great news of the Gospel. That if you believe in Him - call yourself one of His followers, and live a life getting to know and glorifying God - then you will spend eternity with Jesus in Heaven. Then He asks a question that we all have to answer one way or another, do you believe this?

Is the Bible a nice book to read before bed? A great collection of stories to be enjoyed and get lost in. Or is it much much more. Is it truth and life spoken from the lips of the Creator Himself? Is it real? 

Do you believe this?

No comments:

Post a Comment